A61.2: Athletic Council
The chief duties and functions of the Athletic Council are to formulate, maintain, and review general policies pertaining to intercollegiate athletics. The purpose of the council is to support the personal and academic welfare of the student athlete, protect institutional integrity, and ensure compliance with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and affiliated conference rules. In formulating policy, the Athletic Council shall (a) maintain a position in favor of high scholastic standards for intercollegiate athletics; (b) maintain a position in favor of high standards of institutional and personal integrity and ethical conduct for intercollegiate athletics, and (c) maintain the concept of the intercollegiate athlete as an amateur competitor, a bona fide student pursuing a degree program.
The duties of the Athletic Council are further defined as:
- to transmit to the President and Faculty Senate at the beginning of each calendar year a report to include information on athletic scholarships and financial aid given to athletes, current review of the graduation rates of student athletes, the eligibility of student athletes as indicated by the Faculty Representative to the NCAA, the Registrar’s Office, and the Athletic Academic Advising Office, appropriate recommendations concerning the administration of athletic programs from the perspective of the academic performance of student athletes;
- to encourage ethical conduct in intercollegiate sports at the University of New Mexico;
- to make appropriate recommendations to the Vice President for Athletics, the faculty, and UNM President regarding items pertaining to the maintenance of scholastic standards for intercollegiate athletics;
- to review criteria for admission and eligibility of student athletes, and policies regarding student athletes’ progress towards degrees;
- to review and monitor UNM’s athletics programs for compliance with NCAA and MWC rules and regulations including the review of periodic compliance reports;
- to provide comments and recommendations regarding changes in NCAA, MWC, or other relevant conferences rules, bylaws, policies and procedures to the VP for Athletics and the faculty representative to the NCAA,
- to review and make recommendations regarding conference affiliations and other intercollegiate relationships;
- to review at the end of each academic year the list provided by the Vice President for Athletics of student athletes whose scholarships or financial aid are not being renewed, including the reason for each action;
- to review annually team schedules for conformity to the Athletic Council policy on scheduling of academic events and review and approve scheduling exceptions;
- to consult with the Vice President for Athletics on policies and procedures for the annual evaluation of coaches and athletic staff;
- to review and make recommendations regarding appeals of student athletes on academic and athletic matters, and;
- to advise the Vice President for Athletics, when an Associate Director of Athletics or a head coach is to be employed or dismissed
The Council shall include twelve faculty members, the majority of whom should be tenured, including the chairperson, all to be appointed by the Faculty Senate. These twelve members must be representative of at least four colleges. The terms of office shall be for three years, set up on a staggered basis so that the terms of two members will expire each year. The remaining council membership shall be composed of: three undergraduate student members; one graduate student member; one alumni member; and, also, ex-officio, non-voting, the Vice President for Athletics, the Associate Director of Athletics, and the faculty representative to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). An executive committee of the Council may be appointed to provide coverage during the summer months when some faculty members of the Council may not be available.