A61: Academic Council
Approved by: Faculty Senate
Effective: April 28, 2020
Responsible Faculty Committee: Academic Council
Office Responsible for Administration: Office of the University Secretary
The Academic Council is charged with oversight of the teaching and curricula of the University of New Mexico (UNM) including the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels.
The Academic Council has authority in academic matters that cannot easily or fully be handled by single existing Faculty Senate committees. Academic Council recommendations shall be reviewed by the Faculty Senate Operations committee and are subject to ratification by the Faculty Senate. Recommendations proposed by the Council will be taken to the Senate Operations Committee for deliberation and decisions.
The configuration of the Academic Council shall consist of the following Faculty Senate committees:
- Admissions and Registration Committee
- Faculty Senate Curricula Committee (FSCC)
- Senate Graduate and Professional Committee (SGPC)
- Teaching Enhancement Committee
Members of the Academic Council are the chairs of the committees that compose the Council. The Council Chair will be elected to a two-year term by a vote of the chairs of the committees in the Council. Ex-officio, non-voting members of the Council are the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and the Vice President for Enrollment Management.
All UNM faculty, including the Health Sciences Center and Branch Community Colleges.
There are no specific definitions required by this Policy.
Who should read this policy
- All UNM faculty.
- Academic administrators and staff.
- Administrative staff responsible for policy development.
- A51: Faculty Constitution
- A53: Development and Approval of Faculty Policies
- A60: Faculty Senate Bylaws
- A61.1: Admissions and Registration Committee
- A61.2: Faculty Senate Curricula Committee (FSCC)
- A61.3: Senate Graduate and Professional Committee (SGPC)
- A61.3.1: Honorary Degree Sub-Committee
- A61.4: Teaching Enhancement Committee
Direct any questions about this policy to Office of the University Secretary.
The Academic Council will schedule regular meetings. The Council Chair will meet regularly with the Operations Committee but no less than once each semester.
- August 17, 2022 - Corrected title of Senior Associate Vice Provost
- April 28, 2020 - Approved by Faculty Senate