A65.1: Library Committee
Approved by: Faculty Senate
Effective: April 28, 2020
Responsible Faculty Committee: Library Committee
Office Responsible for Administration: Office of the University Secretary
The Library Committee is one of four (4) committees that comprise the Faculty Senate Research and Creative Works Council, which is charged with oversight of the research and creative endeavors of the University of New Mexico (UNM) both funded and unfunded creative works.
The Library Committee meets regularly to address issues and make recommendations related to the UNM libraries' policies, budgets, and other issues in so far as they impact the teaching, research, and service responsibilities of the faculty, and the studies of undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. The role of the Committee is also to facilitate communication among libraries and between libraries and faculties of UNM. The issues that the Committee will address may be generated by the Committee itself or may be brought to the Committee by any faculty, student, or library staff member. Recommendations by the Committee will be made to the Faculty Senate through the Research and Creative Works Council and, when appropriate, to the relevant deans, library directors and vice-presidents/vice-chancellors. Advice and consultation on library issues will be sought from the library faculty and staff. The Chair of the Library Committee shall make an annual report through the Research and Creative Works Council to the Faculty Senate reviewing its major activities, including a list of recommended actions. A copy of this report will be sent, for informational purposes, to the Provost/Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Executive Vice-President for the Health Sciences, the Dean of the Law School, the Dean of UNM Libraries, the Director of the Health Sciences Center Library, and the directors of the various branch community colleges.
Membership: One (1) member from each of the following groupings:
- Anderson School of Management, Economics, and Public Administration
- Education and Human Sciences
- Fine Arts and Architecture
- University Libraries
- Nursing and Pharmacy
- UNM branch community colleges
- Law School
Two (2) members from each of the following groupings:
- Humanities (English, Foreign Languages & Literatures, History, Linguistics, Philosophy, Spanish and Portuguese)
- Natural Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Planetary Sciences, Mathematics and Statistics, Physics and Astronomy, Psychology)
- School of Medicine
- Social Sciences (American Studies, Anthropology, Communication and Journalism, Geography, Political Science, Sociology, Speech and Hearing Sciences, Community and Regional Planning.)
- Undergraduate students (to be appointed by the Associated Students of UNM (ASUNM)
- Graduate and professional students (to be appointed by the Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA)
Ex-officio: Dean of the University Libraries, Director of the Health Sciences Center Library, and Director of the Law Library
The terms of each office shall be for three (3) years set up on a staggered basis. The chair is elected by the Committee. The terms of office of students will be determined by the ASUNM and the GPSA.
All UNM faculty, including the Health Sciences Center and Branch Community Colleges.
No specific definitions are required for the Policy Statement.
Who should read this policy
- Academic chairs, directors, and deans
- Non-academic managers and directors
- Vice presidents and other executives
Direct any questions about this policy to the UNM Office of the University Secretary.
The Library Committee will schedule regular meetings. The Committee Chair will report Committee recommendations through the Research and Creative Works Council for consideration by the Faculty Senate.
April 28, 2020 - Amended by the Faculty Senate
November 22, 2011 - Approved by Faculty Senate
The revision history of this policy's web page is available online. Online revision histories may not include all revisions prior to 2019.