A63: Business Council
Approved by: Faculty Senate
Effective: April 28, 2020
Responsible Faculty Committee: Business Council
Office Responsible for Administration: Office of the University Secretary
The Business Council is charged with faculty oversight of the business aspects of the University of New Mexico (UNM) including budget, government relations, campus planning, capital projects, etc.
The Business Council has authority in business matters that cannot easily or fully be handled by single existing Faculty Senate committees. Business Council recommendations shall be reviewed by the Faculty Senate Operations committee and are subject to ratification by the Faculty Senate. Recommendations proposed by the Council will be taken to the Senate Operations Committee for deliberation and decisions.
The configuration of the Business Council shall consist of the following Faculty Senate committees:
- Budget Committee
- Campus Development Advisory Committee
- Faculty and Staff Benefits Committee
- Government Relations Committee
- Information Technology Committee
Members of the Business Council are the five (5) chairs of the committees that compose the Council. The Council Chair will be elected to a two-year term by a vote of the Chairs of the committees in the Council. Ex-officio, non-voting members of the Council are the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration and the University Controller.
All UNM faculty, including the Health Sciences Center and Branch Community Colleges.
There are no specific definitions required by this Policy.
Who should read this policy
• All UNM faculty.
• Academic administrators and staff.
• Administrative staff responsible for policy development.
- Policy A51 “Faculty Constitution”
- Policy A53 “Development and Approval of Faculty Policies”
- Policy A60 “Faculty Senate Bylaws”
- Policy A61.5 “Campus Development Advisory Committee”
- Policy A61.10 “Governmental Relations Committee”
- Policy A63.1 “Budget Committee”
- Policy A63.3 “Faculty Staff Benefits Committee”
- Policy A63.5 “Information Technology Committee”
Direct any questions about this policy to the UNM Office of the University Secretary.
The Business Council will schedule regular meetings. The Council Chair will meet regularly with the Operations Committee, but no less than once each semester.
- April 28, 2020—Approved by Faculty Senate